Position Title: Ag/Business Banker
Reports to: Location President
Revised: March 2022
Reports to: Location President
Revised: March 2022
Reporting to the Location President, the Ag/Business Banker is responsible for developing new business, underwriting, structuring, and the closing of loans, as well as maintaining and servicing an existing portfolio. This position will be responsible for the collection of loans. Loan collections will include written notification and phone call support to make certain the bank’s past due rate is within set guidelines.
In addition, this position will be responsible for selling and participates in marketing all of the bank’s products and services. This will include making business development calls and cross-selling to customers that come into the bank for a loan. Represents the bank in the local community through active participation in community affairs.
Business Development: 55%
- Support the bank’s strong relationship banking culture through on-going customer contact, quality customer service, and superior product knowledge.
- Make referrals to the Investment, WMG, Real Estate and Insurance departments.
- Sell accident/health insurances.
- Source, develop and underwrite new construction, interim and permanent financing requests for new customers.
- Negotiate rates and terms of loans with customers and management within set
- Maintain and expand an existing loan portfolio.
- Source, develop and underwrite new construction, interim and permanent financing requests for existing customers.
- Maximize bank profitability through appropriate pricing of new loan originations, fee income, and selling of all bank products & services.
- Negotiate terms, structure loan financing based on risk considerations and present credits for approval to appropriate levels of authority within the bank as required.
- Actively work with delinquent loans to maintain the quality of the portfolio.
Location Administration: 10%
- Support the atmosphere within the location that attains and maintains a high level of morale and embraces our Vision, Mission, Values and Service Standards.
- Provide leadership for location specific promotions and initiatives.
- Assure that the properties and facilities are kept in accordance with bank standards for appearance, cleanliness, and safety.
- Active involvement in key community, banking and civic organizations and activities, as appropriate, to represent the bank in the community.
- As part of the overall bank team employees, this position may be requested to assist in the support of other bank activities.
Able to adjust quickly to different work situations and remain composed under pressure and in stressful situations. Must embrace change and see change as an opportunity. Consider themselves as part of a larger bank team and helps build teamwork.
Attention to Detail
Regard for all important details to assure accuracy in every transaction performed; detect errors; follow through on corrections and details. Able to develop personal tracking/reminder systems to assure that important activities are not missed.
Respond sensitively to the needs and priorities of the customers; recognize and take appropriate action to meet their needs; establish an effective working relationship with customers to gain their respect and loyalty.
Must clearly understand all aspects of accounting and finance in a community bank environment. This includes understanding reconcilement, general ledger, budgeting and pricing along with the ability to understand numbers and use those skills as they pertain to loans and the loan underwriting process.
Negotiation & Sales Skills
Must understand the concepts of negotiating and sales as it pertains to selling financial service products in a community bank. Must be able to cross sell customers and make referrals to other areas of the bank. Must be able to develop a “win-win” approach to problem solving with customers.
The ability to express and to communicate thoughts and ideas in a professional, clear and concise manner, both orally and in written form to a variety of audiences and to all levels of staff.
Projects a positive image of the bank to all internal and external customers at all times along with the ability to work well with others. Helps to build and promote teamwork.
Time & Work Management
Ability to effectively manage one’s time to complete work according to established deadlines. The ability to prioritize tasks to make the best use of time for high priority tasks.
Education and Special Requirements
- Four year degree in business administration or related field along with three to five years of prior sales experience preferred.
- This job requires skills needed in a typical office environment. This includes communications skills, computer skills such as, but not limited to Word and Excel as well as utilization of office equipment.
- Internal: BAI Courses: All Staff, Personal/Retail/Ag Banker, Real Estate Department (if applicable)
If you are a registered MLO, you will also have the following duties:
- Responsible for the generation of real estate loans for the bank within guidelines set by bank policy and growth targets. This will include soliciting new business relationships and deepening relationships with existing customers.
- This position will handle phone inquiries regarding mortgage rates and requirements for getting a loan with the bank.
- During the loan process, this person will assist customers through the mortgage process and handle issues as they arise.
- This position is responsible to close the loan with the customer.
- This person is responsible to control the past due loans on the real estate portfolio.
- Maintain current mortgages and collect delinquent payments.
- This position is required to register with the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System & Registry. This position will need to comply with initial registration and ongoing registry requirements.
Peoples Bank is an Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.