Convenience is the driving factor in the rise of mobile banking, and at Peoples Bank we offer the convenience of a free, secure Peoples Bank mobile app. Mobile Banking opens the doors to consumer choice and access to banking options. But, as mobile devices, like smartphones and iPads become more popular, hackers are finding savvy ways to steal information. Peoples Bank urges consumers to be cautious when using mobile devices to do their banking.
The Peoples Bank IT Department says that it is important to take a common sense approach to mobile banking. Use caution on your phone just like you would a computer. If you’re careful, you can really enjoy mobile banking’s benefits safely and securely.
Following a few simple steps can prevent a big headache later. Peoples Bank offers the following tips to protect your information:
• Avoid storing sensitive information like passwords and social security numbers on your mobile device.
• Password protect your mobile device. Use a strong password or pin to lock your device, and remember to lock your device when you're not using it.
• Be aware of your surroundings. Don’t type any sensitive information if others around you can see. Additionally, understand the risks of using wireless hotspots. Limit the type of business you conduct when connecting to unsecured wireless hotspots. Only conduct banking and online shopping or other types of secure transactions on network connections that you know and trust.
• Log out completely when you complete a mobile banking session.
• Protect your phone from viruses and malware just like you do for your computer by installing mobile security software.
• Download the updates for your phone and mobile apps.
• Use discretion when downloading apps.
• If you change your phone number or lose you mobile device, let your financial institution know right away.
• Monitor your accounts regularly and report suspicious activity to your financial institution immediately.
*These tips are provided by the American Bankers Association and the Iowa Bankers Association.